Tips & Best Practices for Family Entertainment Centers
I’m here. What do You Need?
A couple of weeks ago (ok, ok – it was the opening weekend), my 7-year-old and I went to watch Frozen 2. The Frozen story is one of my favorites because its’ focus is the story of sisterly love, not romantic love, portrayed in unconditional love and acceptance. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend.
In Frozen 2 there was an incredibly profound line that hasn’t left my brain. The line, spoken by the character Kristoff is simply “I’m here. What do you need?”
Powerful and incredibly difficult. Instead of asking people what they need, we are in the practice of:
- Assuming we know what is best for them.
- Assuming they want/need us to provide solutions for them.
- Pushing our own agendas that fill our cup, not theirs.
- Assuming that we know not only what they need but exactly how they need it as well.
How different would our relationships be, personal & professional, if we just said “I’m here. What do you need?” and then shut our mouths and actually listened. Would it be possible to:
- Grow in understanding of others.
- Deepen your connections by being willing to meet people where they are.
- Have more authentic relationships.
- Increase the support you not only give others but receive in return.
So, that line is my focus going into 2020. As a coach, friend, leader, family- “I’m here. What do you need?”
You can reach Candi Kelley firstname.lastname@example.org